What you have to know about Cufflinks

Cufflinks are a fancy way to secure the cuff of a sleeve of a shirt, rather than a button. It slips through a hole on each side of the cuff and then has a retention piece on the outside. There are countless types of cufflinks with all different designs. I only own one pair which has a rotating pin.

The pin is straight for when you insert it, and then it rotates to a 90 degree angle when it is through the hole so it can be fastened. My cufflinks are silver with a black piece in the middle. That side, rather than the fastener side, must be facing outwards.
I've worn other types of cufflinks with no rotating pin but just two identical outer bulky parts joined by a skinnier inner part. In this case, either side can be facing outward (more informations on GQ).

There are numerous colors and materials that are used. I would say cufflinks are pretty fashionable compared to a regular shirt with a buttoned cuff because you can express your personality and uniqueness and add a little flair to your look. Usually I would only wear my cufflinks with a shirt with french cuffs. These shirts have no buttons, and it has a double layered cuff which is folded back. Then, you can either overlap the cuffs and holes to simulate the appearance of a regular buttoned cuff, or simply put the cuffs next to each other so that the ends stick out, and then insert the cufflink.


The latter method is probably considered to be fancier because it makes it more obvious that the cuff doesn't circle your wrist tightly and that you're wearing cufflinks.
Some shirts, like some tuxedos I've rented, have both a button on the cuff and a hole, so that you can either button it or use cufflinks. I'm not an expert on the history of cufflinks, but if I had to guess, I'd say that they have been around for a very long time and were probably very popular before the advent of the plastics industry that allowed plastic buttoned shirts to become more commonplace.